Saturday, September 10, 2011

God Bless America


Tonight on the ride home from church the boys spotted the yellow ribbons downtown. Of course, as soon as they spotted them, they said "look, ribbons for soldiers! Why are there ribbons for soldiers momma?" Well, I've always felt that if they are old enough to ask, they're old enough to know. (Obviously taking into consideration their age.) So, I explained that 10 years ago some very bad men killed some people. Imagine how a conversation goes with a 3 and 4 yr. old from here. If not, just insert a lot of "why"?
I explained that some people don't like America and some very bad people flew a plane into a building where people worked. The building collapsed, and many people including firemen and police officers died. Brody said "well, then why do soldiers still die?" Which opened the conversation about war. The boys were quiet for the rest of the ride and I could tell their little brains were working overtime.
At dinner, we said grace as usual. By usual I mean Brody saying his prayer. Hank singing the new song he learned in school. Followed up by Brody saying "I knew that song first Hank. I was in preschool before you." Cue fight. Me reminding them that we are saying grace and they are fighting over who said a better prayer. And tonight, for added fun, Brody said "oh yeah Hank, do you know your prayer in Spanish." Last time I checked Brody wasn't bilingual. And then our 20 minute grace is completed with all of us putting our hands on our hearts and Brody singing "God Bless America." For real. I'm not joking. It like Chevy Chase's house on Christmas. Minus the squirrel.
As we were eating tonight we did a lot of talking about prayer. The power of prayer, praying if your scared, praying if your thankful, praying if your sad, happy....you get the point. Basically, just explaining that God is with you at all times. I love how my boys really understand this for such a young age. Hank said "where is doggy heaven? I wanna see Lulu there someday." Brody said "there's soldiers in heaven." So sweet. Wouldn't our world be so much better if every person just had compassion for others?
In honor of all of those who lost their lives God bless them and their families. God bless all the Americans who helped that day. And, as the Kowboys say often "God bless the soldiers."

No comments:

Post a Comment